If you're like most people, you probably think that table manners are a thing of the past. After all, who needs them when we all have cell phones to keep us entertained? But believe it or not, basic table manners are still important. In fact, they can make or break your dining experience. That's why we've put together this list of basic table manners everyone should know. Whether you're eating at home or out at a restaurant, following these tips will ensure that you look and feel like a civilized human being!
If earning while you eat sounds tasty to you, then download the liven app, dine at any of the thousands of restaurants on our platform and get rewarded with up to 30% of your bill back to fund your next meal.
Now, onto the tips for table manners.
- Put your napkin in your lap as soon as you sit down.
- Wait until everyone at the table is served before you start eating.
- Take small bites and chew with your mouth closed.
- Use utensils to eat, not your fingers.
- Keep your elbows off the table.
- Ask to be excused before leaving the table.
- Thank the host or hostess for the meal.
- Say "please" and "thank you."
- Serve others before you serve yourself.
- Play with your food.
- Reach across the table for something. Ask someone to pass it to you instead.
- Speak with your mouth full.
- Interrupt others while they're talking.
- Slouch in your chair or put your feet on your chair.
- Slurp or make any other noises while eating/drinking.
- Belch or pass gas at the table.
- Use your cell phone at the table.
- Get up from the table before everyone is finished.
- Forget to say "please" and "thank you."
Of course, these are just a few of the many table manners you should know. For more tips on dining etiquette, be sure to check out our Etiquette guides. Want to join the Liven community of fabulous foodies just like you? find out more here.